Webpage created: May 28, 2018
Webpage updated: June 02, 2018
Saltash Station, at 251 miles 26 chains mile post mileage from London Paddington Station via Bristol Temple Meads Station and Plymouth Station (Millbay), was opened by the Cornwall Railway Company on May 4th 1859, when the main line from Plymouth Station (Millbay) to Truro Station was opened.
The Station was rebuilt in 1880.
In 1908 the Great Western Railway Company altered the Saltash side of the approach to the Royal Albert Bridge and this enabled the Station to be extended.
Saltash Station was the terminus of the Suburban Service from Plymouth Station (Millbay) and later North Road Plymouth Station although some trips ran on to Menheniot, Saint Germans, Liskeard or even Doublebois. That service, begun by the Great Western Railway Company in 1904, ceased under British Rail in May 1972.
Also begun by the Great Western Railway Company's Road Motor Department on June 1st 1904 was a motor bus service from Saltash Station Yard through the village Albaston to Callington.
According to the "The Official Hand-book of Station 1956" Saltash Station dealt with goods traffic, passengers, parcels, miscellaneous traffic, furniture vans, carriages, motor cars, portable engines and machines on wheels, live stock, horse boxes, prize cattle vans, and carriages and motor cars by passenger or parcels trains. It was equipped with a crane capable of lifting 2 tons.
Even the Up Cornish Riviera Express, hauled by
Prior to the opening of the Tamar Road Bridge in 1962 the forecourt of Saltash Station used to be the terminus of many East Cornwall motor bus services operated by the Western National Omnibus Company Limited.
Saltash Station was closed to goods traffic by British Railways on and as from September 9th 1963 but the unstaffed Station is still open for much depleted passenger traffic.
It became a partially unstaffed Station on and as from October 11th 1971 and eventually lost even that status.
Saltash Station devoid of all its facilities,
including the signal box.