Webpage created: May 28, 2018
Webpage updated: August 29, 2018
Liskeard Station, at 264 miles 68 chains mile post mileage from London Paddington Station via Bristol Temple Meads Station and Plymouth Station (Millbay), was opened by the Cornwall Railway Company on May 4th 1859, when the main line from Plymouth Station (Millbay) to Truro Station was opened.
In his Engineer's Report to the Directors in August 1860, Mr R P Brereton stated that: 'An engine turn table has been put in at Liskeard'.
The Station was linked by a steep curve down to the Liskeard and Looe Railway on and as from May 15th 1901, when the Branch platform at right-angles to the main Station was opened.
According to the "The Official Hand-book of Station 1956" Liskeard Station dealt with goods traffic, passengers, parcels, miscellaneous traffic, furniture vans, carriages, motor cars, portable engines and machines on wheels, live stock, horse boxes, prize cattle vans, and carriages and motor cars by passenger or parcels trains. It was equipped with a crane capable of lifting 6 tons.
Liskeard Station, Junction for the Looe Branch, is still open.