Webpage created: May 28, 2018
Webpage updated: May 28, 2018
ROYAL ALBERT BRIDGE SIGNAL BOX
Just outside the boundary of the Borough of Devonport, the Royal Albert Bridge Signal Box was opened at 250 miles 64 chains mile post mileage from London Paddington Station via Bristol Temple Meads Station and Plymouth Station (Millbay) by the Great Western Railway Company on February 23rd 1902 to control the traffic from the double line from Saint Budeaux to the single line across the Royal Albert Bridge.
The Box, which was apparently intended to be erected at Witney Station, in Oxfordshire, measured 18 feet 6 inches by 9 feet 6 inches and contained a 13-lever Great Western frame. It was closed on June 28th 1908 and replaced by a new Box measuring 21 feet by 12 feet and having a 17-lever frame.
A Mr B C J Hammill was appointed Signalman here during 1941.
On June 22nd 1952 the frame was extended to 25 levers when it took over the functions of the Saint Budeaux West Signal Box, which was only 25 chains in the rear, so that it could be closed down.
Originally the 42 chains section to Saltash Signal Box was controlled by an Electric Train Staff but this was replaced in 1952 by the Electric Train Token.
On and as from July 10th 1961 the Tokens were withdrawn and replaced by a lever interlocked with a similar one in the Saltash Signal Box so that only one set of signals could be pulled off.