Webpage created: May 28, 2018
Webpage updated: June 02, 2018
SALTASH SIGNAL BOX
Saltash Signal Box, at 251 miles 26 chains mile post mileage from London Paddington Station via Bristol Temple Meads Station and Plymouth Station (Millbay), was opened by the Great Western Railway Company in January 1882: the Board of Trade inspected it on January 25th 1882. The 18-lever frame was housed in a Box measuring 14 feet 8 inches by 12 feet 3 inches.
The fireman of British Railways number 5075
leans out of the cab in July 1959,
In 1909 during station restructuring work it was extended to 23 levers and in April 1943 the Box itself was extended to 22 feet 1 inch in length to accommodate a 31-lever frame.
Saltash Signal Box was closed on and as from July 2nd 1973.
With grateful acknowledgement to the late Mr
Laurence 'Larry' William Crosier (1929-2010) of the Great Western Railway Company
British Railways (1948-c1994); the Plymouth Railway Circle, the Lee Moor Tramway Preservation Society, and the Signalling Record Society.