Webpage created: February 20, 2016.
Webpage updated: February 20, 2016
YOUNG MEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION
A branch of the Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) was formed at Devonport in 1849, the year after Mr Alfred Rooker called a meeting in Plymouth to discuss the formation of a branch in that Town.
In 1862 they had premises in Fore Street and in 1886 it was in Saint Aubyn Street. By 1890 the Devonport YMCA was housed in part of the Devonport Public Hall in Fore Street. They were at that address in 1914.
When the Devonport Public Hall was converted into the Electric Theatre they moved back into Saint Aubyn Street again, where the building was damaged by bombing during the Second World War but no lives were lost.
For the remainder of the War the YMCA was housed at Peverell Park Villa, the home of Mr Henry Hurrell JP, in what was then Tavistock Road at Peverell Corner.