OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: December 22, 2018
Webpage updated: December 22, 2018

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

-

PRESBYTERIAN CHAPELS IN OLD DEVONPORT

There were no Presbyterian Chapels in Old Devonport even though a small congregation had been set up at the Temperance Hall in Fore Street in the autumn of 1857.  The congregation was composed mainly of soldiers, sailors and servants of the Crown employed in the Royal Dockyard, all of Scottish origin.  An attempt was made to find a site for a permanent place of worship in Devonport but without success.  A piece of land was eventually found but it was between the Roman Catholic Cathedral and the Anglican Church of Saint Peter the Apostle in Plymouth.  An iron Presbyterian Chapel was opened there in 1862.