Webpage created: March 13, 2016.
Webpage updated: March 13, 2016
PILGRIM CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL
The Pilgrim Congregational Chapel, now the Pilgrim United Reformed Chapel, is in Saint Levan Road, Devonport.
Pilgrim has its origins in two chapels. The Whitefield Congregational Chapel was opened in Saint Levan Road in 1933. Mr George Whitefield (also spelled Whitfeld) was an early Congregationalist in Plymouth. The original building was demolished by a land mine during the Blitz of World War Two.
The other original congregation was at the Wycliffe Congregational Chapel in Albert Road. After the end of the War it was decided to combine the Whitefield Chapel with the also destroyed Wycliffe one in Albert Road and give them the name "Pilgrim Church".
A Nissen hut was used temporarily and this was opened and dedicated at 3pm on January 14th 1950 by the Lord Mayor, Alderman F G Leatherby.
The foundation stone of the adjacent Whitefield Hall was laid by Mr A E Glassey JP, chairman of the Reconstruction Fund of the Congregational Union of England and Wales, at 3pm on Saturday May 9th 1953. During the ceremony Mr F Owens, a former lay pastor, re-laid the foundation stone from the original Whitefield Chapel. Representing the architects Messrs Gordon Jackson & Partners was Mr J McDonald Colvin and Mr T Reece attended on behalf of the builders, Messrs T Vanstone Ltd. The Reverend R L Ackroyd conducted the service.
The Hall was opened and dedicated by the Reverend Doctor John Marsh on Saturday December 12th 1953.
In 1957 the Nissen hut was demolished to make way for the present building, the foundation stone of which was laid at 2.30pm on Saturday January 17th 1959. The architects of the new building were Messrs Gordon Jackson & Partners of London. The new Pilgrim Chapel was opened at 6.30pm on Saturday November 28th 1959.
Since 1972, when the Congregational
Church joined forces with the Presbyterians,
this has been the Pilgrim United Reformed Chapel.