OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: April 15, 2016
Webpage updated: April 23, 2020

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

THE MILITARY IN OLD DEVONPORT

NEW GRANBY BARRACKS

One of the accommodation blocks at New Granby Barracks.
  City of Plymouth Museum and Art Gallery.

Granby Square Barracks were demolished between 1824 and 1830 and replaced by New Granby Barracks.  This was adjacent to the north side of Fore Street, immediately opposite the Hope Baptist Chapel.

Another accommodation block and garages at New Granby Barracks.
  City of Plymouth Museum and Art Gallery.

The Soldiers' Quarters adjoined the main road while within its inner wall was the Devonport Military Prison and a Bath House.

By the 1860s it was no longer "New" and therefore known as just Granby Barracks.