OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: February 14, 2016.
Webpage updated: February 17, 2016

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

-

GRANBY STREET UNITARIAN CHAPEL

The first Unitarian Chapel in Plymouth-Dock, on the corner of George Street and Duke Street, was forced to close down in 1801 thanks to the efforts of the Commissioner of the Royal Dockyard, Mr Fanshawe, because he took exception to the Unitarians supporting the French Revolution.

However, it is thought that secret meetings continued to be held in Plymouth-Dock until the congregation re-established itself in 1820.  With Mr Fanshawe gone from the newly-named Devonport, they opened a new Chapel in Granby Street at 10.30am on Sunday June 21st 1829, when the Reverend Acton, of Exeter, preached the sermon.

Following the opening of the Christ Church Unitarian Chapel in Duke Street in 1864, the Chapel became the Granby Street Primitive Methodist Chapel.