Webpage created: December 21, 2018
Webpage updated: December 21, 2018
UNITARIAN CHAPELS IN OLD DEVONPORT
The Plymouth Unitarian congregation opened the Plymouth-Dock Unitarian Chapel in George Street in 1791 but when the Commissioner of the Royal Dockyard found out that the Unitarians supported the French Revolution he made it known to the workmen in the Dockyard that if they attended the new chapel they would be dismissed as being disloyal subjects. As a result the congregation dwindled away and in 1801 the Chapel was sold.
It is thought that meetings continued to be held in Dock until the congregation re-established itself in 1820. No doubt spurred by the new name of Devonport, the construction of a new Town Hall, and the erection of the Devonport Column, the Unitarians opened the Granby Street Unitarian Chapel in June 1829.
The Christ Church Unitarian Chapel was opened in Duke Street in 1864, which resulted in the Granby Street Unitarian Chapel being closed down. In 1823 Christ Church was closed and the premises sold to the Devonport Young Men's Christian Association.