Webpage created: June 09, 2018
Webpage updated: June 09, 2018
It is believed that Mr Joseph Striplin, a gardener living at Saltash Passage but originally from Saint Dominick, in Cornwall, purchased a plot of land opposite the new Saint Budeaux for Saltash Station from the landowner of the Barne Estate, General Sir John Jago Trelawny, for the sum of £157 and after borrowing £4,500 and engaging architect Mr J B Foster, erected the building comprising two bars, a bar parlour, a club room, a coach house and stables, which he named the Trelawny Hotel.
He was granted a six days license by the Roborough justices at the end of September 1891, which was confirmed by the Devon County Licensing Committee at Exeter Castle on October 7th 1891. The magistrates did not want the Hotel to become a drinking place for the Three Towns, which were three miles away, and also asked that that landlord be cautious about selling beer to railway officers at the nearby Station. The Trelawny Hotel was open by Wednesday December 30th 1891 when an auction was held there.
Mr Striplin died in early 1896 at the young age of 46 years but his widow, Mrs Priscilla Striplin, was still living at number 2 Yeoman's Terrace in 1914.
The Trelawny Hotel was subsequently purchased by the Octagon Brewery Limited, of Plymouth, who were themselves taken over by Messrs H and G Simonds Limited in 1954.
Closed down in 2009, the Hotel as number 642 Wolseley Road has now been converted in for other business uses.