Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: December 21, 2018
Webpage updated: December 21, 2018

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page



'To do all the good you can to all the souls you can'.

Over at Devonport Captain Joseph de Ban, or de Bau, was holding the first meeting outside the Devonport Market when it was interrupted by Mr Thomas Cannaford, a butcher in Saint Aubyn Street, who objected to the preaching.  The landlord of the Butchers' Arms Public House in Cross Street, Mr Greenslade Medland, summoned the police, who carted the Captain off to gaol.

It is said that the Morice Town Corps at Devonport was founded in 1880.  A Captain Roe was certainly presented with their flag by General William Booth during a "Prayer Meeting" in Plymouth on Saturday February 28th 1880.

Historian Mr R N Worth has stated that their first meeting place in Devonport was at the old Mount Zion Chapel, near the Devonport Column.

Over time things settled down and the first Salvation Army band in Plymouth was formed in 1884.  As the movement grew so too did the number of meeting places.  The former Gloucester Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was leased from the Saint Aubyn estate in 1887 and became the Gloucester Street Salvation Army Barracks.  A Salvation Army Hall was opened in Granby Street, in 1900.  The Army even occupied the former College Road Primitive Methodist Chapel in College Road, Keyham Barton, during the 1930s.

The Salvation Army Hall in Granvy Street, Devonport, 1958.

The Salvation Army Hall in Granby Street, Devonport, 1958.
  Plymouth City Museum & Art Gallery.

On August 20th 1912 the founder of the Salvation Army, Mr William Booth, died and was succeeded by his son, Mr William Bramwell Booth.  He died in 1929.

Soon afterwards, on Saturday May 7th 1960, a new Salvation Army Hall was opened in Haddington Road, Devonport, by Miss Joan Vickers, the local Member of Parliament.  The Morice Town Corps had marched from the site of the old Gloucester Street Salvation Army Barracks to the new premises.  This Hall had cost 28,892 11s 6d, which was higher than expected because during the construction a bomb crater was discovered on the site.  Only 3,225 had been received in war damage compensation for the Gloucester Street building.  Brigadier Arthur Gray, the divisional commander, conducted the service and the Reverend F C Pound read the prayers.

Finally, on Wednesday June 16th 1965 the "Red Shield House" was opened in Park Avenue, Devonport.

The founder's grand-daughter, Catherine Bramwell-Booth died on October 4th 1987.