Webpage created: March 16, 2016
Webpage updated: May 19, 2019
FLOATING BRIDGE NUMBER 5
Saltash Floating Bridge Number 5 was designed by Mr Tobias Bickle and built by Messrs Willoughby Brothers at a cost of £3,596. She had room for two rows of four vehicles each, plus horses, and had a promenade deck on each side. Her chains were 33½ft apart.
The 1891 boat was retained as a reserve and was moored on the Saint Budeaux side.
At 4pm on Monday October 2nd 1911 the members of Saltash Corporation and their guests boarded the steamer "Prince" for the short trip across the river to where the new ferry was waiting. As soon as the chains were connected, the engines were started and the ferry bridge was taken in to the shore at Saltash Passage. There the engines were once again started, this time by Mrs Pryor, the wife of Mr Joseph Pryor, chairman of the Corporation's Ferry Committee. The first journey across the river was made in record time and was watched by a large, cheering crowd. A reception was later held in Saltash Guildhall but it is noteworthy that there were no representatives of Devonport Borough Council present. Messrs Willoughby Brothers were represented by Mr J P James, who proposed the toast "Success to the new ferry bridge", and Mr W Hexter, Mr R W C Barber and Mr S P Stedham.
Interestingly, while the old ferry was being removed and the new one installed, the service was maintained by the old, antiquated horse-boat, which was sold in 1913 for £2 10s.