Webpage created: March 16, 2016
Webpage updated: May 19, 2019
FLOATING BRIDGE NUMBER 1
The first floating bridge for the Saltash ferry was designed by Mr J M Rendel and built at Pope's Shipyard, Turnchapel, Plymstock.
She was 80 feet long and 30 feet wide, with two decks and 15 feet prows.
The vessel did its first trial run in 1832 and, according to the "Western Luminary", took four and a half minutes to make the crossing.
Floating Bridge Number 1 was withdrawn in 1834 for repairs but did not return to service. Saltash Corporation claimed that the ferry rights had therefore lapsed by default and put on their old horse-boats and the old rates. The rights did return to the Borough in 1839 and the event was celebrated on Boxing Day by the ringing of church bells.
Meanwhile, the floating bridge lay idle in Hocking's Yard, at East Stonehouse, until February 1840 when she was put up for sale by auction at Weakley's Hotel, Devonport.