Webpage created: April 02, 2021
Webpage updated: April 02, 2021
SAINT JOHN STREET NATIONAL SCHOOL
Saint John Street National School was founded as the Plymouth-Dock Public School for Girls on March 1st 1799 alongside the new Anglican Church of Saint John the Baptist in Saint John Street. It was not properly organized, however, until 1812, three years after the Plymouth-Dock Public School for Boys was started. Voluntary subscriptions provided education and clothing suitable for their employment fo eighty girls, who were accommodated on the first floor above the boys' school.
In 1830 a Mrs Dunning was the treasurer and a Miss Patrick was the secretary, according to Mr Robert Brindley's "Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Directory".
By 1850 the School was being run under the principles of the National Society for the National Society for the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church and there were 200 boys and 80 girls attending. Mr J Underhill was in charge of the boys and Miss Toney in charge of the girls' school in Duke Street. It was known in 1857 as the Devonport National School and was educating 50 boys and 40 girls. By 1866 a Miss Carter had taken over from Miss Toney in charge of the girls' school.
Mt Henry Charles Tarn MCP had taken over as master of the boys' school by 1889 and Mr George Blackmore ACP was master by 1902.
Following the adoption of the Education Act 1902 on June 1st 1903, the School became a "Non-provided" School under the Devonport Local Education Authority, possibly known as the Saint John Street Church of England Elementary School.