Webpage created: August 06, 2017
Webpage updated: May 27, 2019
ROYAL NAVAL DETENTION QUARTERS
The "White City" Royal Naval Detention
The Royal Naval Detention Quarters were built at Bull Point, Saint Budeaux, in 1912 to accommodate 100 detainees.
In 1914 the Quarters were under the charge of Commander Frank Powell.
Because the Quarters were painted in white it was commonly known as the "White City". The late Mr Thomas Fraser Dunbar (1913-1995) recalled in "A History of Devonport Services Rugby Football Club, 1912-1981" that the Quarters were used in 1932-33 for the disciplinary training of 32 Probationary Writers who had just joined the Royal Navy. When that was completed they moved to the Signal School in the Royal Naval Barracks for their professional training.