Webpage created: July 13, 2019
Webpage updated: July 13, 2019
WEST ROPE HOUSE
Following the disastrous fire at the Ropery in 1761, it was replaced by two buildings running south to north alongside the Dockyard Wall, the Spinning house, later East Rope House, and the Laying House, later the West Rope House. Unfortunately the East Rope House suffered another disastrous fire in 1812 and was rebuilt by Mr Edward Holl (1766-1823), architect to the Navy Board, as an entirely fire-proof structure.
But the Laying House was not rebuilt. It became known as the West Rope House in 1815, when its companion building became the East Rope House.
As a result of not being rebuilt and the cellars being used to store tar, it was destroyed by enemy action in 1941 and today only the foundations and evidence of 44 cellars remain.
The West Rope House was linked on its western side by bridges to the Hemp Store Number 20; the Hemp Store Number 22; and the Old Metal Pound.
Although the site of the Rope House is regarded as a Listed Building it does not have a grading.