OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: July 11, 2019
Webpage updated: July 11, 2019

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

ROYAL DOCKYARD  |  SOUTH YARD

MASTER ROPEMAKER'S OFFICE (S 97 and S 98)

When it was built in 1772-73 the Master Ropemaker's House (S 103) had a small office attached to it but this was apparently replaced by this building, a short distance north, in circa 1815, when Mr Edward Holl, architect to the Navy Board, rebuilt the East Rope House after the disastrous fire in June 1812.  The original two-storey building was constructed of Plymouth limestone rubble but it was extended in 1868 in squared and coursed stone with ashlar dressings, cast-iron Tuscan columns and a slate roof.

The premises were later converted into a machine room for rope-making machinery with an underground drive shaft and a bridge linking it to the West Rope House.  It is shown on the 1912 Ordnance Survey map of the Royal Dockyard as a Boiler House, Offices, and a Dining Room over.  The building survived the Second World War and in 1945 was used as a school.

It has now been awarded Grade II Listed Building status.