OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: July 15, 2019
Webpage updated: July 15, 2019

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

ROYAL DOCKYARD  |  SOUTH YARD

MAIN DOCK PUMP HOUSE (SO 87 and SO 89)

Between the heads of Number 1 Dock and Number 2 Dock in South Yard is the Main Dock Pump House, now a Grade II Listed Building.

Following the introduction of hydraulic power into the Royal Dockyard this Pump House was built to enable Docks 1 and 2 to be pumped dry when required and to operate capstans, cranes and dock gates.  On the south side of the single-storey Pump House is a two-storey square accumulator tower which bears the date 1851 and in the south-western corner is truncated, square chimney. 

The design of the building is attributed to Mr William Scamp (1801-1872), Chief Assistant to the Director of Admiralty Works, 1845-1867, who was heavily involved with the construction of the Keyham Steam Yard.