OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: June 28, 2018
Webpage updated: July 05, 2018

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

ROYAL DOCKYARD  |  SOUTH YARD

JOINER'S SHOP (SO 95)

National Grid Reference: SX 450 543

Although latterly a Joiner's Shop and also known as the Upholstery Shop, this building is the last surviving 18th century Hemp House at the Royal Dockyard at Devonport.  Raw hemp was stored here before hatchling and being passed to the Spinning House.

The two-storey building, with an attic and a basement, dates from circa 1766 to 1773 and is open plan built of limestone rubble and a slate roof.  The roof was damaged during the Second World War.  At the north end is a wide arched carriage entrance.  Most of the windows on the first floor have been bricked up.  The concrete floor was a recent addition, being added in circa 1952.