Webpage created: July 01, 2019
Webpage updated: July 01, 2019
BUILDING SLIP 1 (S 180)
The first of the Building Slips to be constructed at the Royal Dockyard was the one nearest the boundary wall at Mutton Cove: it became Building Slip number 5 and in 1849 was renumbered as Building Slip number 1. The plans were drawn up in August 1774 and the estimated cost was expected to be £1,056 1s 6d for materials and £834 6s 8d for labour, a grand total of £1,890 8s 2d. Further alterations were made circa 1788.
Between 1814 and 1821 the timber roof was added, to the designs of Sir Robert Seppings (1767-1840), Surveyor to the Navy. This gave protection from the weather to the wooden ships and the men working on them.
A document held at the Public Record Office gives the measurements of Building Slip 5 as: length along the floor, 174 feet 9 inches; breadth at bottom, 43 feet 9 inches; breadth at top, 56 feet exactly; depth at head, 4 feet 9 inches; depth at jetty end, 15 feet 6 inches, length to top of slope, 183 feet.
As previously mentioned, in 1849 Building Slip 5 was renumbered Building Slip 1.
It would appear that at some point Building Slip 1 was enlarged because the official measurements given by the Ordnance Survey in 1912 were: length 237 feet 6 inches and width at entrance 49 feet.
To the north of it were Machine Shop 2A, the King's Hill, and a Boiler House. Along side it was an Underground Pump House and Building Slip 2, the Shallow Dock.
This Slip is now known as "The Covered Slip" and has is a Grade II* Listed Building status.