Webpage created: June 30, 2019
Webpage updated: June 30, 2019
FLOATING DOCK 2
However, on September 12th 1925 a second Floating Dock arrived from the naval base at Portland under the guardianship of HMS "Tactician". It had been towed to Devonport by the tugs "Resolve", "Retort", "Saint Clear", "Saint Kitts", and "Saint Mellions". She was initially placed next to the Coaling Wharf but on September 19th she was moved to her newly dredged place in Weston Mill Lake, north of Basin 5.
Built in Germany, this Floating Dock measured 680 feet by 144 feet, 107 feet between the walls. Only HMS "Hood" was too large to use it.
Its first occupant was HMS "Ramillies" and during Navy Week 1929 the public could enter the Floating Dock and walk beneath the hull.
From an Abrahams' of Devonport postcard number 2227.
HMS "Resolution" was in the Floating Dock during the Navy Week of 1930.