Webpage created: February 05, 2016
Webpage updated: May 07, 2021
SOUTHERN RAILWAY COMPANY (IN OLD DEVONPORT)
The Southern Railway Company's London terminus
at Waterloo Station,
The Southern Railway Company absorbed the London and South Western Railway Company and its subsidiary, the Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction Railway Company, as a result of the Railways Act 1921, which came into effect on Monday January 1st 1923. Their locomotives and rolling stock slowly replaced that of the former operators of the line through Devonport.
The Company may few changes to the line. They installed a wartime link at Saint Budeaux between the Southern line and the Great Western Railway to facilitate the transfer of goods to and from the Royal Dockyard and Royal Ordnance Depot at Bull point and to enable passenger and freight trains to be diverted in the event of damage or destruction of one or other of the main lines. They did close Camel's Head Halt in 1942 because of the risk from fire catching the wooden platforms alight and spreading to nearby houses. They also closed Albert Road Halt in 1947 as no passengers were using it because the trams and motor buses were easier to get to.
On January 1st 1948 the entire British railway system was nationalised and operated by the Railway Executive of the British Transport Commission, trading as British Railways. The lines previously operated by the Southern Railway became the Southern Region of British Railways.
Click on the following links for more information about the Engines Sheds, Goods Depots and Yards, Ground Frames, Halts, Junctions, Platforms, Sidings, Signal Boxes, Signalling, Stations, Tunnels, and Viaducts -