Webpage created: February 08, 2016.
Webpage updated: February 08, 2016
GENERAL MILITARY HOSPITAL
The General Military Hospital, sometimes known as Stoke Military Hospital, was built in 1797 on the northern shore of Stonehouse Lake, opposite the Royal Naval Hospital, which preceded it. Injured military personnel could be brought by water direct to the steps of the Hospital.
It originally consisted of four detached blocks of wards linked by a colonnade. The fifth block was added around 1870.
In August 1919 Lieutenant-Colonel G J Houghton DSO was the Officer-in-Charge assisted by Major E C Whitehead, Officer-in-Charge of Medical Division, and Major J B Bate, of the Territorial Force, as Registrar. The Matron was Miss J G Willetts RRC.
The General Military Hospital was closed down in 1926 but not offered for sale by the War Department until 1933, when it was purchased by Mr A C Ballard, of Holland House, Plymouth. Plymouth Corporation purchased it from him in 1934 for £11,868 to be used for educational purposes.