Webpage created: March 18, 2016.
Webpage updated: March 20, 2016
Harris's Amphitheatre, or more likely in Old Devonport, "'Arris's Amphitheatre", was at the rear of Clowance Street.
It was formerly the Racket-Court Barracks, a group of dwelling houses purchased by the Government for use as emergency accommodation for troops. At the end of the Napoleonic Wars they were sold off.
writing about the Amphitheatre in 1830, tells us that
'feats of horsemanship are performed at intervals'.