Webpage created: October 14, 2020
Webpage updated: October 14, 2020
DOCK AND STONEHOUSE PUBLIC DISPENSARY
The Dock and Stonehouse Public Dispensary was established in 1815 for the benefit of the residents of Plymouth-Dock and East Stonehouse. It was supported by voluntary subscriptions and collections made at the Chapels of Saint John, Devonport, and Saint George, East Stonehouse. Although well supported in these ways, it was unfortunately not sufficient to be able to pay a salary to the apothecaries who ran the Dispensary, unlike those at the Plymouth Public Dispensary.
A annual subscription of one guinea enabled the subscriber to recommend 'four distressed objects', which was how they referred to persons in pain.
The Dispensary was described in 1823 as 'a neat stone-front building, on Chapel-street, with suitable apartments.'
It was managed by a President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary, with a committee each for Plymouth-Dock and East Stonehouse.