Webpage created: January 26, 2020
Webpage updated: January 26, 2020
DEVONPORT PUBLIC SCHOOL FOR GIRLS
The Plymouth-Dock, later Devonport, Public School for Girls was founded on March 1st 1799 but was not properly organised until 1812, three years after the Public School for Poor Boys had been started. Voluntary subscriptions provided education and clothing suitable for their employment to eighty girls. Classes were held on the first floor of the Public School for Poor Boys in Saint John Street.
Mr Robert Brindley in his "Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Directory" for 1830 listed the following Officers: Treasurer -Mrs Dunning; Secretary - Miss Patrick.
By 1850 the School was being run under the principles of the National Society for Promoting Religious Education and there were 200 boys and 80 girls attending. Mr J Underhill was in charge of the boys and Miss Toney in charge of the girls' school in Duke Street. It was at one time also known as the Devonport National Schools.
Following the adoption of the Education Act 1902 on June 1st 1903, the School became a "Non-provided" School under the Devonport Local Education Authority.