Webpage created: April 13,, 2016
Webpage updated: May 23, 2020
DEVONPORT GENERAL BANK
In 1810 Mr Thomas Husband (1761-1847) and one of his sons, Mr Herbert James Husband (1801-1862), formed the Plymouth-Dock General Bank. It became the Devonport General Bank when Plymouth-Dock became Devonport on January 1st 1824. Another son, Mr Thomas Husband junior (1787-1870), was a partner for a time.
Its premises in 1822 were at number 78 Fore Street.
As Messrs Husband and Son, it met all its commitments during the banking crisis of 1825 but was acquired in 1838 by the National Provincial Bank of England Limited as part of its nationwide expansion.
|With acknowledgement to the RBS Archives in Edinburgh for their very efficient assistance.|