Webpage created: February 23, 2021
Webpage updated: February 23, 2021
RICHARD CHAPPLE CUNDY (1856-1935)
Richard Chapple Cundy was born on February 12th 1856 to Mr Robert Cundy (1819-1897) and his wife, the former Miss Eliza Chapple, of North Huish, near Ivybridge, Devon. He was baptized at Stoke Damerel Parish Church on August 24th 1856.
He was born into a large family, living at number 11 Fore Street, Devonport: before him came Thomas Robert Chapple Cundy in 1842; Mary Ford Cundy†, 1844; Robert Eden Cundy†, 1845; Eliza Chapple Cundy†, 1847; Mary Sweet Cundy, 1849; Robert William Jackman Cundy, 1850; Robert Chapple Eden Ford Cundy, 1851; Elizabeth Ford Chapple Cundy, 1852; and William John Chapple Cundy†, 1853. Those marked † had all died before Richard was born in 1856. He was followed by a second William John Chapple Cundy on May 29th 1859. Both Robert Eden Cundy and Eliza Chapple Cundy died in 1848 and were buried together at Stoke Damerel Parish Church on February 16th 1848.
Mr Thomas Robert Chapple Cundy set up in business on his own, as the Devonshire Dairy, after his marriage in 1870.
Mr Robert Chapple Eden Ford Cundy, assistant dairyman to his father, married Miss Evelina Palmer at Stoke Damerel Parish Church in 1871 and set up on his own at Highenden Farm, Common Wood, Eggbuckland.
At the time of the census on April 3rd 1881 Richard Chapple Cundy and William John Chapple Cundy were assisting their father at 107 Fore Street, supported by 22-years-old Mr Charles Witcham, agricultural labourer, from Kingsbridge.
On April 3rd 1884 Mr Richard Chapple Cundy married Miss Louisa Jane Richards at Stoke Damerel Parish Church.
Then on Thursday April 10th 1884 Messrs R Cundy and Sons opened a new Branch Dairy at number 34 Trafalgar Place, Stoke, on the corner of Portland Road, where Mr Richard Chapple Cundy - one of the "Sons" - and his new wife set up home. The property still exists today and carries the name "Trafalgar Dairy" engraved in stone.
With a house to fill, children soon started to appear. First came Bessie Eleanor Cundy, on February 6th 1885. Her birth was recorded in the Western Morning News the following morning, with the first reference to the business being called the Trafalgar Dairy. After Bessie came Richard George Cundy, born on February 16th 1886 and then Henry Francis Cundy, born August 31st 1887. At the time of the 1891 census, there was Louisa's widowed father, two female boarders and two female domestic servants living at 34 Trafalgar Place.
By this time the family were running their extensive dairy herd over much of the land at Pennycross, Torr, and Manadon. In fact Richard's younger brother, Mr William John Chapple Cundy got married at the Anglican Church of Saint Pancras, Pennycross, on February 4th 1907 to Miss Sarah Elizabeth Clark.
During the 1920s much of the land they farmed within Stoke Damerel and Pennycross was sold for housing. Mr Henry Francis Cundy, whose cattle grazed on fields that were soon to become Central Park, had to move his herd to Great Woodford Farm, at Plympton. Various members of the family took over Estover Farm, Thornbury Farm, Little Wood ford Farm and Goosewell Farm.
Richard's younger brother, Mr William John Chapple Cundy died on October 17th 1927.
Mr Richard Chapple Cundy died on Wednesday March 6th 1935 at his home, "Monteray", in Horrabridge. During his lifetime he had been a well known personality at all the South Devon markets and agricultural shows, at which he was a judge of cattle and horses. In his younger days he had hunted with the Dartmoor Foxhounds. Mr Cundy had also been a member of the Boards of Guardians for both Devonport and Plympton. The funeral service took place at Saint Pancras Church, Pennycross, on Saturday March 9th 1935. The business passed to his two sons, Mr Robert George Cundy (1886-1948) and Mr Henry Francis Cundy, and his only daughter, Mrs Bessie Eleanor Tregillus.