Webpage created: March 25, 2017.
Webpage updated: March 25, 2017
PLYMOUTH AND TAVISTOCK TURNPIKE TRUST
In 1804 the Tavistock Turnpike Trust obtained an Act of Parliament 'for the better amending and repairing of the Roads leading from the Lower Market Houses in Tavistock, to Old Town Gate, in the Borough of Plymouth, and from Manadon Gate to the Old Pound near Plymouth Dock.' As this Act required the road to be self-financing, it was transferred to the completely separate Plymouth and Tavistock Turnpike Trust.
Following another Act of Parliament in 1813 Manadon Hill was lowered in 1828 and other alterations were made to the road leading into Plymouth.
By 1842 there was also a toll house where the branch road crossed Ford Hill and what is now Molesworth Road, at the entrance to Stoke Village. The toll house was on the corner of Molesworth Road, the land opposite being gardens.
The Plymouth and Tavistock Turnpike Trust ceased in 1884.