Webpage created: September 28, 2018
Webpage updated: September 28, 2018
TRELAWNY SECONDARY MODERN SCHOOL
Trelawny Secondary Modern School was in Swilly Road at Ham, between Ham Drive and Buckfast Close, opposite the Weston Mill Cemetery.
The School was opened in 1946 as a temporary expedient for ten years, for which the Home Office supplied some wartime HORSA huts. These were single-storey concrete framed buildings with a pitched roof. One classroom was provided for young children from Lower Ham who lived too far from North Prospect Primary School to walk.
It was a mixed school and in 1955 the Headmaster was Mr E A Hosking.
As with most temporary buildings, they were in use for over thirty years, the School closing its doors circa 1979.
Adjacent to it were the kitchens which supplied many of the local schools with their dinners.