Webpage created: September 23, 2018
Webpage updated: September 24, 2018
TAMAR CENTRAL SCHOOL FOR BOYS
Founded on August 27th 1928 as Johnston Terrace Central School for Boys, it was not until 1933 that it actually got officvially named Tamar Central School for Boys, after first getting rid of the Girls' section in 1930 and then going through a phase of discussion during 1932 over whether it should be called Devonport Central School or Scott Central School. Some City councillors pointed out that the was close to the Hamoaze not the river Tamar while others, rather sarcastically, pointed out where the Hamoaze ended and the Tamar began. Anyway, the name stuck and from January 1st 1933 Johnston Terrace Central School for Boys was officially known as Tamar Central School for Boys.
In fact, the name had already been used for the School's first Speech Day, which was held in the Plymouth Guildhall on the evening of Wednesday November 9th 1932. It was at that event that the guest of hobnour, Doctor A B Rendle, one-time Curator of Botany at the British Museum, gave the School its motto: 'The Best is Yet to Be'.
In December 1938 the School moved from Johnston Terrace to the former Stoke Military Hospital, alongside the (Plymouth) Junior Technical School. Both Schools were officially opened in February 1939 by Earl de la Warr, President of the Board of Education.
During the autumn of 1939 the School was closed by Hitler and moved back to Johnston Terrace, where it shared the building on a shift basis with the Johnston Terrace Senior School.
Headmaster from 1932 until 1940 was Mr T Willcocks FLS LCP. He retired November 1940, on the day of an air attack that damaged Goschen Street.
At 8.30am on May 10th 1941 ninety-three pupils led by Mr F E Sanders and two temporary members of staff left North Road Plymouth Station for what proved to be Truro, where they were not met with enthusiasm. It was allocated some rooms at the Technical School and later moved to the Saint Mary's Hall, where it remained. Mr Good joined the School at Truro in June 1941. The 120 boys who stayed behind studied at North Prospect School until they were removed to the Emergency Central School in Cobourg Street, with Messrs Pearce and Paige.
Headmaster from 1941 until 1942 was Mr C W Good MA.
Mr Good moved back to the Emergency Central School before leaving entirely. In April 1942 the Truro group were placed under Mr J E Ellis FRGS, who had been bombed out of Wolsdon Street Elementary School. He returned to Plymouth with the School in 1945, by when the Education Act 1944 had forced it to yet again change its name, to Tamar Secondary School for Boys.