Webpage created: February 17, 2016.
Webpage updated: July 10, 2017
STOKE BOARD SCHOOL
On August 18th 1874 work was completed on the Stoke Board School on the site of numbers 1, 2 and 3 Church Street, at the corner with Somerset Place, Stoke.
The architects were Messrs Moorshead and Ching and the contractor was Mr W Finch.
The School opened on January 11th 1875 and could accommodate 540 children. It covered an area of 5,232 square feet and the total cost of the site, buildings and architects' commission was £3,753 6s 3d, or £6 19s 0d per child. It was thus an expensive school to construct compared to others in the area.
By 1889 the average attendance was 139 boys, 130 girls and 149 infants under Master, Mr William Ambrose; Mistress, Miss Emily Martin and Infants' Mistress, Miss Fanny Louisa Lukey.
In 1901 there were 267 boys, 207 girls and 200 infants attending classes under Mr John Webber, Miss Kate Blewett and Mrs Louisa Murray.
Following the transfer of education from the Devonport
School Board to the Devonport
Local Education Authority on
June 1st 1903, Stoke Board School became the Stoke