OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: February 10, 2016.
Webpage updated: July 10, 2017

         

EDUCATION IN OLD DEVONPORT

SIR JOHN JACKSON'S SCHOOL

During the construction of the North Yard Extension of the Royal Dockyard, Sir John Jackson opened his own school for the children of the workmen.  When the work was completed, Sir John's land agent, Mr Hughes, offered the Council the use of the temporary school buildings.  Devonport's Education Committee agreed to continue the School for the benefit of the children on the Weston Mill Estate and they arranged for the agreement of the Board of Education and a visit by Mr Routh, the local HM Inspector of Schools.

The exact location of the School is not known.

From 1906 it was the responsibility of the Devonport Local Education Authority, who needed a school in that location.  It became the Weston Mill Temporary Infants' School until it was replaced in 1912 by the new building at Camel's Head.