Webpage created: February 10, 2016
Webpage updated: April 18, 2021
SAINT STEPHEN'S NATIONAL SCHOOL
Even after the passing of the Education Act 1870, which created the Devonport School Board, the Church of England continued to open new schools. The first and last in Devonport was connected with the Anglican Church of Saint Stephen and it was apparently opened in 1870.
The sad remains of the Saint Stephen's
National School building
Saint Stephen's National School was situated at 38 Clowance Street, with the rear in Prospect Row, next door to the Clowance Street Brewery.
Following the adoption of the Education Act 1902 on June 1st 1903, the School became a "Non-provided" School under the Devonport Local Education Authority. It became Saint Stephen's Church of England Elementary School.