Webpage created: August 17, 2019
Webpage updated: August 17, 2019
ANGLICAN MISSION CHAPEL OF SAINT PETER
The Anglican Mission Chapel of Saint Peter between Little Ash Gardens and Little Ash Road in Wolseley Road at Saltash Passage, Saint Budeaux, was actually in the County of Cornwall when it was built. This was because the area at the Passage was in the Honour of Trematon, in the County of Cornwall. The area was transferred to Saint Budeaux, and thereby into the County of Devon, in 1895.
The ruins of the Anglican Mission Chapel of Saint
Peter at Wolseley Road, Saltash Passage, February 1954.
The foundation stone was laid by the Reverend Prebendary Wilkinson DD, on Wednesday September 23rd 1885. Amongst others present were Admiral Morshead; Admiral Saumarez; the Reverend Wollaston Goode, the vicar of Saint Budeaux; the Reverend Doctor Dickson, Royal Navy; the Reverend and Mrs T Wakeford; Colonel and Mrs Chard; Miss Wilkinson; Mr A Hingston JP; Doctor and Mrs Paget-Blake; Mrs Moore and Miss Avent. and it was opened in 1886.
Worshippers in the area had previously gathered in a room rented for the purpose, which a Miss Honey prepared and fitted-up at her own expense. The congregation soon outgrew the accommodation and so it was decided to erect a Mission Chapel. Lord William Compton kindly gave them a piece of land on a long lease and at a nominal rent. The Chapel was dedicated to the memory of Admiral Sir Peter Richards, KCB, a former resident of Saltash passage. As a Rear Admiral he had been Flag Officer at Greenwich Hospital and for a short while before his death in 1869 has been a Lord Commissioner of the Admiralty.
The Chapel was opened for worship in 1886.
Saint Peter's was damaged during the air raids of the Second World War and never reopened. It was demolished in 1956.