Webpage created: December 08, 2022
Webpage updated: December 08, 2022
ROYAL NAVAL STOKERS' TRAINING ESTABLISHMENT - HMS "IMPERIEUSE"
HMS "Imperieuse" initially comprised two obsolete warships, HMS "Revenge" and HMS "Resolution" and was based at Gairloch, in Scotland. The officer-in-charge was Captain Engineering, retired, E W Hardy, who with al the senior officers was appointed on May 12th 1944.
They arrived at Devonport from Gairloch on December 11th 1944.
They were commissioned that same day as HMS "Imperieuse", Stokers' Training Establishment, but retained their own names. Captain Engineering, retired, E W Hardy remained the officer-in-charge.
They were later joined by other obsolete warships including HMS "Renown". They were all jointly commissioned as HMS "Imperieuse" on June 21st 1946 but retained their own names.
All the warships had been placed on reserve by October 1947. HMS "Imperieuse" closed on February 2nd 1948. The functions were transferred to HMS "Raleigh" on March 10th 1948. HMS "Imperieuse" was paid off on June 1st 1948.