Webpage created: June 12, 2019
Webpage updated: June 12, 2019
The Royal Naval Barracks' Drill Shed can be
seen next to the
The front of the Royal Naval Barracks Drill
Shed overlooking the Parade Ground.
Allegedly at one time known as "The Indoor Parade Ground Building", the Drill Shed at the Royal Naval Barracks was designed by Superintendent Engineer, Lieutenant-Colonel P Smith, Royal Engineers, and formed part of the original Barracks. It was doubled in size in 1907. Historic England state that it is constructed of Plymouth limestone ashlar over a steel frame. The iron-trussed flat roof is supported on iron pillars. The frontage contains a central exit down steps on to the Parade Ground. The two side elevations have two entrance/exits each.
The interior can usually be viewed during Navy Days as it is then filled with static displays.