Webpage created: March 16, 2016.
Webpage updated: March 16, 2016
"THE ROYAL DEVONPORT TELEGRAPH AND PLYMOUTH CHRONICLE"
When Plymouth-Dock became Devonport on January 1st 1824 it is believed that Mr Congdon improperly changed the name of his newspaper from "The Plymouth and Dock Telegraph and Plymouth Chronicle" to "The Royal Devonport Telegraph and Plymouth Chronicle". It cost seven pence a copy.
Mr Congdon retired in 1827 and
sold the newspaper to Mr George Isabell Soper. Perhaps it was he who
realised that using the word "Royal" was not acceptable as by 1830 it was
listed in Robert Brindley's "Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Directory"
as simply "The
Devonport Telegraph and Plymouth Chronicle".