Webpage created: February 01, 2016.
Webpage updated: May 07, 2016
ROADS AND STREETS IN OLD DEVONPORT
Edward Hoxland when writing the first guide book to Plymouth-Dock in 1796 tells us that when he saw a draft plan of the Town made in 1731 the only roads and streets shown were Fore Street, Back Lane (later to become Cherry Garden Street), North Corner, Cornwall Street, Prince's Street, King Street, Queen Street, part of Granby Street, and a couple of houses in Town Square.
Plymouth-Dock soon spread southwards from Fore Street. Dock Wall Street, Stafford's Hill, and part of Duke Street had been added by 1750 but where the Market was later erected was still "The Ponds". Parts of Saint Aubyn Street and Chapel Street and some smaller streets around them were in existence by 1770 although Liberty Field was still in use as a rope walk in 1775. George Street, Clowance Street, Liberty Street, Windmill Street and part of Mount Street then followed so that by 1796 only the Windmill and a field adjoining it were still undeveloped and owned by an aged widow lady.
Worth, writing seventy-four years after Hoxland, reveals that when the widow's lease finally expired Duke Street, John Street, Mount Street and Ker Street were completed. He also points out that 'The first houses in Pembroke Street were rather villa residences of the period than the commencement of a new thoroughfare, and hence the manner in which the premises at the southern corner of Pembroke and James Streets project beyond the general line. The front of this house, and of the other with bow windows at the corner of Monument Street, was towards the harbour. In like manner the large bow-windowed houses in Prospect Row are relics of a time when that quarter of the town had a very different character to that which belongs to it now' (1870).
The roads and streets of Morice Town appeared in the 1790s, after the arrival of the new ferry crossing to Torpoint, while Stoke grew tremendously between 1840 and 1850. Keyham Barton and Keyham came at the end of the 19th century although Ford already existed by then.
For a complete list of
all the roads and streets that occupied Devonport in 1914 click on "Next