Webpage created: March 23, 2017.
Webpage updated: January 12, 2019
Mount Street ran from Saint Stephen Street westwards to James Street, crossing Stanley Street, Fort Street, Canterbury Street and Monument Street. It took its name from being adjacent to Mount Wise.
Numbers 1 to 54 on the southern side of the Street were largely residential, with a beer retailer, Mr J Metters in 1914, at Number 3. The northern side, which were to the rear of properties in Ker Street, had many businesses, including Mr W J Potter, builder and undertaker; Messrs W Wenmouth and Son, removal contractors; Mount Street Mews; Messrs Healy and Son, builders' stores; Messrs J Jane and Sons' carriage works; Mr J B Love's stables; Mr T Hurrell's coal stores; Mr G C Downey's rag stores; Messrs Hayes and Company's stables.
The only principal building was the Wesleyan Sunday School and Mission Hall between numbers 61 and 62.