Webpage created: November 13, 2017.
Webpage updated: November 13, 2017
King Street ran from Fore Street northwards to Morice Square. It is still partly in existence, although erroneously named Queen Street on some maps.
The principal buildings in King Street were the Royal Naval and Military Free Schools, the frontage of which is now the front of Marlborough Primary School, which to confuse matters even further is given as being in Morice Square. Also in the Street was the King Street Bible Christian Chapel.
Licensed Landmarks included the Boot Inn, the White Lion Inn, and the Lord Hood Public House.
The Plymouth Mutual Co-operative and Industrial Society had premises at number 34 in 1914, on the corner with Granby Street, while Messrs William Dawson and Sons Limited, the national wholesale news agents, were at number 5. Other trades represented in King Street in 1914 were eight shop keepers, three boot makers, a tobacconist, a dairy, a wardrobe dealer, a fruiterer, a furniture dealer, a coal dealer, a cutler, a butcher, a fishmonger, and two hair dressers.