OLD DEVONPORT . UK
Plus parts of East Cornwall and West Devon
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: May 28, 2018
Webpage updated: May 28, 2018

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

RAILWAYS IN OLD DEVONPORT  |  CORNWALL RAILWAY COMPANY
MAIN LINE, PLYMOUTH STATION (MILLBAY) TO LISKEARD STATION

TRERULE SIGNAL BOX

Trerule Signal Box, at 258 miles 31 chains mile post mileage from London Paddington Station via Bristol Temple Meads Station and Plymouth Station (Millbay), was opened by the Great Western Railway Company in 1925 to break up the block section between Saint Germans Signal Box and Menheniot Signal Box for the busy summer holiday traffic.  It was of timber construction and measured 15 feet 6 inches by 10 feet and was 7 feet tall.  It had a 6-lever frame.  The Box only lasted that season and was removed.

A second, permanent Signal Box was erected again by the Great Western Railway Company and opened in 1938.  Considering that it only had a 6-lever frame, as the first Box did, it measured 19 feet by 12 feet as it was expected to take a larger frame.  It spent a great deal of its time switched out and finally closed on and as from May 23rd 1954 although the Box remained in situ for many years afterwards.