Webpage created: February 25, 2016
Webpage updated: May 01, 2018
CAMEL'S HEAD HALT
The staggered platforms of Camel's Head Halt,
Camel's Head Halt was opened on Wednesday September 26th 1906 in connection with the London and South Western Railway's suburban service between Plymouth and Saint Budeaux for Saltash Railway Station.
As from October 1st 1922 Down trains called at 8.58am; 12.08pm except Saturdays; 12.18pm Saturdays only; 1.07pm; 2.02pm; and 4.35pm. Between March 1st and September 30th there was an extra train at 5.17pm and between April 1st and September 30th another one at 7.23pm. Up trains towards Saint Budeaux called at 8.35am; 12.39pm; 1.20pm; 3.53pm; and 4.50pm. Between March 1st and September 30th there was an extra train at 6.40pm and between April 1st and September 30th another one at 6.23 in the morning. All trains were third class only. There was no Sunday service.
The situation in March 1942, twenty years further on, was worse with only one Up train, the 1.22pm from Friary calling at 1.46pm although an extra one, the 12.10pm from Friary, called on Saturdays only at 12.32pm. Only one Down train to Plymouth called, the 8.11am from Bere Alston, which called at 8.28am.
Although one would
have thought that the apparent lack of passengers would have been a good
enough reason for the
Southern Railway Company to close it down but it was the fact that it
had wooden platforms and that these posed a fire threat to local houses that
brought the closure of Camel's Head Halt as from Sunday May 4th 1942.
It is odd, though, that this was over a year after the big Blitz on
Devonport so perhaps it was more of an excuse than a reason.