OLD DEVONPORT . UK
Plus parts of East Cornwall and West Devon
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: May 05, 2018
Webpage updated: May 30, 2018

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

RAILWAYS IN OLD DEVONPORYT  |  PLYMOUTH, DEVONPORT AND SOUTH WESTERN JUNCTION RAILWAY COMPANY
MAIN LINE, LYDFORD STATION TO FRIARY STATION

BERE ALSTON STATION

Beer Alston Station, as it was originally named, was opened by the Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction Railway Company on June 2nd 1890.

It was renamed Bere Alston Station on November 18th 1897.

When the Callington Branch was opened in 1908 the main Up Platform was made into an island platform, with the Branch trains terminating on the outside face.

For the Departures Board at Bere Alston Station from June 7th until September 30th 1914 CLICK HERE.

According to the "The Official Hand-book of Station 1956" Bere Alston Station dealt with goods traffic, passengers, parcels, miscellaneous traffic, furniture vans, carriages, motor cars, portable engines and machines on wheels, live stock, horse boxes, prize cattle vans, and carriages and motor cars by passenger or parcels trains.  It was not equipped with a crane.

Bere Alston Station was closed to goods traffic on or as from February 28th 1966.

The much depleted Station is still in use as a reversing point for trains on the Plymouth Station to Gunnislake Station branch line.