Webpage created: March 12, 2016.
Webpage updated: March 12, 2016
PEMBROKE STREET BAPTIST CHAPEL
The Pembroke Street Baptist Chapel was the second Baptist Chapel to be built in the district after the one in Plymouth. Worth tells us that it was erected in 1781 on what were known as Liberty Fields. This was where the men working in the Royal Dockyard used to hold their meetings to air grievances.
Its first pastor was the Reverend Isaiah Birt, who had previously led the Plymouth congregation.
The Chapel remained in use until the Second
World War, after which it was cleared away under a redevelopment
scheme. The Baptist Association decided to replace it with a new building
on one of Plymouth's post-war housing
estates and so in 1958 Crownhill
Baptist Chapel was opened
with the pulpit and organ from the Pembroke Street building.