Webpage created: March 01, 2018
Webpage updated: March 01, 2018
NEW PASSAGE BREWERY
The New Passage Brewery in John Street, Morice Town, Devonport, was owned in 1850/51 by Mr Thomas Husband, who lived at Stoke Villa.
Mr N Wilson was a brewer at 6 John Street, Morice Town, in 1866.
The New Passage Brewery joined with the Old Brewery in Bampton Street, Tiverton, to become the Devonport and Tiverton Brewery Company Limited, which was registered in December 1876.
The caretaker of the Brewery in 1911 was 51-years-old Miss Alma Eliza Webb, of Cornish birth. She was still single and lived with a female servant of similar age. She died on January 30th 1922, when her age was declared to be 69 years.
That business went in to voluntary liquidation in May 1923 and the New Passage Brewery and 27 of its public houses were acquired by the New Victoria Brewery, Plymouth. It is not known when the New Passage Brewery site actually ceased brewing but after the takeover of the New Victoria Brewery by Messrs Ind, Coope and Allsopp in 1937 it is known to have been used only for bottling and storage.