Webpage created: July 07, 2019
Webpage updated: July 07, 2019
MOTOR BUS SERVICES IN OLD DEVONPORT
The Motor Bus era did not really start until Plymouth Corporation Tramways Department became interested in the use of the more flexible motor omnibus to replace trams which were fixed to a track. At first it was felt they could provide a feeder service to the tramway network.
But the first motor bus to operated within the Borough boundary of Devonport was a privately-owned one. The Peverell Road Car Company Limited was formed in October 1909 to operate a service from Fore Street, Devonport, to the new territory at Peverell. The Company's registered office was at Outland Mill, at the junction of Tavistock Road with Lyndhurst Road.
The chairman of the Company was Mr J E C Boolds. The secretary of the Company was Mr C H Stanbury, who had been the miller at Outland Mill in 1890. The remaining Directors of the Company were Mr T Thorne Barnes BSc; Mr F R Charlick CC; Mr G P Gard; Mr K A Ling; Mr W H Mountstephen; and Mr W J Smith CC.
Requests for £1 shares had to be submitted to the Company's bankers, the Capital and Counties Bank, Fore Street, Devonport, along with the initial sum of five shillings per share, by Monday November 22nd 1909.
One of the
open-top motor buses belonging to the Peverell Road Car Company Limited.
The Company apparently ran two two chain-driven Leyland open top cars and two saloons, a Maudslay and a Milnes-Daimler, on their service from Tor Lane at Peverell through Milehouse and Stoke, to Fore Street, Devonport. This was in direct competition with the Devonport and District Tramways Company Limited.
Their vehicles were painted in a livery of green and white and their maximum permitted speed was 12mph.
After numerous accidents and frequent breakdowns, the service ceased early in 1911 and the Company was wound up in June that year.
As far as is known, Devonport did not see another motor omnibus until the Plymouth Corporation Tramways Department started their own motor bus service in 1920.