Webpage created: December 21, 2018
Webpage updated: December 21, 2018
MONTPELIER ELEMENTARY COUNCIL SCHOOL
When the Borough of Devonport was amalgamated with Plymouth and Stonehouse in 1914, the School was, of course, transferred to the new Plymouth Local Education Authority.
On Thursday May 18th 1939, the Lord Mayor
of Plymouth, Councillor George S Scoble, laid the foundation stone of
the new Montpelier Elementary Council Schools.
The accommodation provided eleven classrooms and four practical rooms on the southern side. The senior school would also have an art room with two stores, a cookery and laundry room with larder and store, a handicraft room with wood and metal stores, and a science room with adjoining preparation room and store. Open corridors linked the classrooms with four separate entrances. In addition to the headmaster and staff rooms, there were also medical and waiting rooms. There were two assembly halls in the centre of the building, the one for the senior school being equipped with a permanent stage and fitted out as a gymnasium. Shower rooms for the boys and girls were provided in an adjoining block.
Externally the building was faced in multi-coloured bricks with Portland stone dressings and internally it was painted light cream with light green "Granitese" dados. The floors were of polished oak blocks.
Added features were the provision of electric clocks and Rediffusion radio throughout both schools.
The total cost of the new schools and the alterations to the existing building, including furniture, equipment and fees, but excluding the cost of the site, was given as £57,432.
Mr R E Goodanew was the headmaster.