Webpage created: October 07, 2018
Webpage updated: October 07, 2018
EXTENSION OF THE BOROUGH
On August 12th 1898 the Royal Assent was given to the Local Government Board’s Provisional Order Confirmation (No. 10) Act 1898, which confirmed the Devonport (Extension) Order 1898. This authorised the transfer to the Borough of Devonport of a part of the parish of Saint Budeaux and a small portion of the parish of Weston Peverell or Pennycross. The transfer came into operation on November 9th 1898. As a result the size of Devonport Borough Council was increased from 36 to 45 Councillors and from 12 to 15 electoral Wards, Ford Ward being added to the new area and divided into Ford, Pennycross, Station and Tamerton Wards.
But Devonport’s entitlement to receive the rates from the inhabitants of Saint Budeaux was made conditional upon them:
o reconstructing Camel’s Head Bridge;
o extending the tramway as far as Saint Budeaux Railway Station;
o and constructing a landing stage at Saltash Passage ‘of sufficient size to enable passenger steamers of the size now plying between Plymouth and Saltash to land and embark passengers there’.
And that wasn’t all. The Order also required the Corporation to establish a new cemetery; open a reading room; provide fire appliances; establish a Police presence; lay down proper and sufficient mains for the supply of gas; improve the existing footpaths and construct new ones long the main roads; and provide a footbridge in connection with the Weston Mill Viaduct. The Order also empowered them to take over the sewerage and drainage facilities in Saint Budeaux from Plympton Rural District Council.
Thus, Saint Budeaux, King’s Tamerton and the military establishments at Bull Point and the Camel's Head district of Pennycross were moved within the Borough of Devonport, while Honicknowle remained in the Parish of Saint Budeaux.
The Western Morning News welcomed the extension, saying: 'It has been kept in bonds and swaddling clothes longer than was good for it. The operation of the manorial system has had a depressing influence upon the town'.
The transfer was confirmed by Local Government Board Order P1462 dated November 9th 1898.